Monday, February 11, 2013

Supporting Black-owned Businesses


                             

MADAME CJ WALKER
                                                        1867- 1919
Inventor, businesswoman, Philanthropist, and Social Activist


  So in lieu of Black History Month, I figured I would bring up the topic of black-owned businesses and the oh-so common assertion that Black folks, don't support their own. There are many different theories on why this happens, and we have heard from every public African-American figure about the importance of supporting black-owned businesses, yet the mystery remains unsolved.

    As a business marketing student, but also a consumer, I often try to look at business from both standpoints- anyone who has the slightest interest in business SHOULD understand that an important factor in business is first understanding consumer wants and needs. Anyway, what I have found, is that whether you are black, white, or green, consumers want products, but they also want GREAT CUSTOMER SERVICE.

    Customer service is not saying “Hi” when a customer enters the establishment, then going back to Tweeting about how much you hate your job; Customer service involves engagement, care, and mind-reading! Yes, I said mind-reading! Whether you are the business owner or salesclerk, a good business trains employees to look at certain things to assess a customer's needs and wants. For instance, when I am walking slow and tell the salesclerk I am just browsing, I want them to greet me, tell me the sales specials, and leave me alone! BUT, when I come in walking fast and flustered the day before my wedding looking for a basket for the flower girl, GIVE ME ANSWERS NOW! (I am still salty about that experience as you can see lol) Overall, just act like you care about what I need, and if you don't have it, help me to get it! That will ALWAYS make a customer come back. Word-of- mouth goes a LONG way also, so make sure what I say about you is GREAT! Take PRIDE in your work- it is your business card when you are not there!

   On the flip-side, I know what it is like to be the one providing the service and some of my folks are NEVER satisfied- almost like they come in looking for a problem. There are some people that you can never satisfy, and you have to let that roll off of your back. For those that scream “Black businesses don't give good customer service!”, look at yourself and how you may be treating the people that work for these businesses. If you can wait two quarters for Beyonce to come out for the Superbowl, you can wait a few extra minutes for a salesperson who is trying their best, but is extremely busy trying to satisfy five other customers at once. Chill lol... And the MONEY ISSUE- quit with the hook-up mentality!!!!! If you can pay hundreds and thousands of dollars to an Asian-owned business, to have a Caucasian-owned shipping company to provide you with a Brazilian girl's hair to sew into your own, you can pay an extra dollar to Supersize!

    I have had GREAT experiences and very poor experiences in black-owned businesses. I have had great and poor experiences in other businesses as well. But I am fair, if the customer service is not “on point”, I speak up to let the establishment know (yea I grew up to be one of those people lol); however, when the customer service is AWESOME, I also speak up, and go as far as sending a letter to the corporate office (yea, I am one of those people too lol). No matter the color of the people running the establishment, I will always acknowledge those who are doing well...but I will admit, as I walk out of the door, I smile a little harder when it is one of my sisters or brothers behind the counter :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment