Wednesday, February 27, 2013

SPAMMED! How Twitter got me and how Facebook should clean up their act!

   

    One of my friends sent me a DM on Twitter asking if I had seen a picture of myself and ended with "LOL".  I got a little nervous because I had recently performed a song at her Mother's 60th Birthday Party, and I am known to have some pretty crazy facial expressions when I sing. Anyway, when I clicked on the link, Twitter immediately sent me to a page saying that it did not exist. I didn't understand, and right as I was about to call my friend to ask her about the picture, another friend DM'd me saying "Hey Love, change your password you Spammed me!"

    Spam? I was confused. Doesn't that only happen in the Email world? I checked my DM list and saw that about 20 of my followers had sent the same exact message that my friend originally sent me! I also got a ton of messages that I had sent spam (the same message) to other people!!! I immediately changed my password to Twitter.

   That happening to me, made me realize that SPAM is everywhere- not just in a can.  If Twitter can be spammed, then I really would need to monitor my account, to make sure my "tweets" are NEVER compromised!

    Although I had never had this specific issue with Facebook, I feel "spammed" when Facebook allowed users to send invites to parties and requests to play Farm Games.  I have so many requests for events and parties, that I rarely check that feature anymore and put out a disclaimer to my friends that if they wanted to invite me to anything, use another source.  It is overwhelming, and I am hoping that Facebook will come up with a way to fix this issue as I have heard so many of my peers complain about the same thing.  It is the reason that so many people migrated over to Twitter in the first place.  Seems that Facebook's IPO isn't their only problem ;-)


          

No comments:

Post a Comment