Tuesday, November 19, 2013

THE POWER OF MUSIC

THE POWER
        Sometimes I forget how powerful music is, considering that most of my life, I have done it as a job. Rarely do I get the experience of just sitting back and being in the audience and “feeling it”.  I have been riding the Metro to work lately and have been listening to music--not to learn it for a gig, or study and practice trills…just to….listen…and it is AMAH-ZING. I created a new playlist called “Inspiration” and by far my favorite songs on the playlist are “No One Else” by Smokie Norful and “Go Alone” by PJ Morton (…yes, Bishop Paul S. Morton’s son).


NO ONE ELSE
       I enjoy Smokie’s song as it gives me motivation to give God glory in all that I do, but Smokie and the live band outdo themselves on the music composition. The lines they play to get to the call and response part blow my mind and I call it, the “ride”. Even though I am walking from the train, I am riding on the music. Listen to the whole song, but REALLY listen to the lines played starting at 5:25….POWERFUL….

LISTEN: 




GO ALONE
     PJ Morton’s whole EP “New Orleans” is great, but the lyrics to"Go Alone" speak volumes to me, as it exposes some of my fears and insecurities in just…being me...and living MY life...the lyrics SPEAK to me….I hope they do the same for you:

I want the world to sing along
But I’m not sure I can afford the costs
Without getting lost
I know that there’s an easy way
But I’m not sure that I’m willing to play
I’m not so good at this game
‘Cause I can’t be…

Going through the motions
As a ship sets on the oceans
Passing you all by
You’re standing on side
A spectator of your old life
Don’t you think it’s time
You take a ride

(Chorus)
Why do you go on
Why do you go on
You should go for what you wanted all along
Why do you go on
Why do you go on
You try to feel it even when it felt so wrong
Instead of just going alone
Why don’t you go alone


ENJOY THE WHOLE SONG:


                                                           



No comments:

Post a Comment